French Chicken Casserole à la Normande Recipe
French Chicken Casserole à la Normande is a delightful dish that brings together the rich flavors of chicken, apples, and creamy sauce. Inspired by the culinary traditions of Normandy, France, this casserole is the perfect blend of sweet and savory. Prepare to enjoy a taste of French comfort cuisine.
Ingredients You’ll Need
Gather these ingredients to make French Chicken Casserole à la Normande:
For the Chicken:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
For the Casserole:
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 apples, peeled, cored, and sliced (use sweet apples like Gala or Fuji)
- 1/2 cup of dry white wine
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1/2 cup of grated Gruyère cheese (or Swiss cheese)
- Fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish)
- Mashed potatoes or crusty bread
Follow these simple steps to create French Chicken Casserole à la Normande:
Step 1: Season and Sear the Chicken
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and black pepper on both sides.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sear the chicken breasts for about 3-4 minutes on each side or until they are golden brown. Remove them from the skillet and set them aside.
Step 2: Prepare the Casserole
- In the same skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion and minced garlic. Sauté until the onion becomes translucent and fragrant.
- Add the sliced apples and cook for another 2-3 minutes until they begin to soften.
Step 3: Create the Sauce
- Pour in the dry white wine and bring it to a simmer. Allow it to cook for a few minutes to reduce slightly.
- Stir in the chicken broth, heavy cream, Dijon mustard, and dried thyme. Mix well and let the sauce simmer for about 5 minutes.
Step 4: Combine Chicken and Sauce
- Return the seared chicken breasts to the skillet with the sauce.
- Simmer for another 10-15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened.
Step 5: Add Cheese and Finish
- Sprinkle the grated Gruyère cheese (or Swiss cheese) over the chicken.
- Cover the skillet with a lid and let it sit for a few minutes until the cheese melts and becomes bubbly.
Step 6: Garnish and Serve
- Garnish the casserole with chopped fresh parsley.
- Serve hot with mashed potatoes or crusty bread to soak up the delicious sauce.
French Chicken Casserole à la Normande is a comforting and flavorful dish that combines the sweetness of apples with the richness of cream and cheese. This recipe brings a taste of Normandy, France, to your table, and it’s perfect for a special dinner or when you want to impress your guests with French-inspired cuisine.
Enjoy your French Chicken Casserole à la Normande!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 lbs chicken thighs and legs
- 4 shallots diced or one medium onion
- 1 rib celery diced
- 4-5 thyme sprigs
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 125g/4 oz bacon lardons or 6 strips of bacon, chopped
- 2 tbsp brandy or whiskey
- 2 tbsp flour
- 85 ml/1/3 cup chicken stock
- 400ml/1 ½ cups hard dry apple cider such as Strongbow
- 2 apples peeled, cored and cut into wedges
- 125ml/1/2cup double cream/heavy cream
Turn the oven on to 180C/350F.
In a large casserole dish brown the chicken parts in 1 tbsp of oil over medium- high heat until golden. Remove to a separate platter and set aside.
Fry the bacon lardons over medium heat until the fat is rendered. (If the bacon is very fatty, discard most of the fat.) Remove the bacon to the same platter as browned chicken.
To the same pan add the shallots and celery with 2 sprigs of thyme and cook over low heat until soft but not coloured for 5-7 minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook for 30 seconds longer while stirring.
Then add the flour and stir until it's combined with the fat and turns into a paste, then slowly add the chicken stock and stir until the mixture resembles a thick gravy, then pour in the apple cider and stir to combine.
Then put the casserole into the preheated oven and cook with a lid on for 30 minutes, then uncover and cook for 30 minutes longer.
Take the casserole out of the oven and stir in the heavy cream and cook for 20 minutes longer uncovered.
Nutrition InformationYield 1 Serving Size 6
Amount Per ServingCalories 5867Total Fat 411gSaturated Fat 184gTrans Fat 7gUnsaturated Fat 210gCholesterol 2114mgSodium 6776mgCarbohydrates 181gFiber 19gSugar 114gProtein 345g
The information contained herein is subject to change.