Baked Honey Mustard Chicken Recipe: A Sweet and Savory Delight
For a meal that perfectly balances sweet and savory flavors, look no further than this Baked Honey Mustard Chicken recipe. With succulent chicken breasts coated in a luscious honey mustard glaze, this dish is a crowd-pleaser that’s both easy to prepare and incredibly satisfying. In this article, we’ll guide you through the step-by-step process of creating this delectable delight.
Table of Contents
- Gathering the Ingredients
- Marinating the Chicken
- Preparing the Honey Mustard Glaze
- Coating and Baking the Chicken
- Adding a Golden Crisp
- Plating and Garnishing
- Tips for Flavorful Success
- Customization Ideas
- Wine Pairing Suggestions
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Access Now
Baked Honey Mustard Chicken is a dish that combines the richness of chicken with the delightful sweetness of honey and the tanginess of mustard. This harmonious blend of flavors results in a meal that’s not only visually appealing but also a true treat for your taste buds.
Gathering the Ingredients
Before you embark on your culinary adventure, make sure you have the following ingredients on hand:
- Chicken breasts (boneless and skinless)
- Dijon mustard
- Whole grain mustard
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Salt and black pepper
- Fresh thyme leaves (optional)
- Olive oil
- Lemon wedges
Marinating the Chicken
Begin by marinating the chicken breasts in a mixture of honey, Dijon mustard, whole grain mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt, and black pepper. Let the chicken marinate for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
Preparing the Honey Mustard Glaze
While the chicken is marinating, prepare the honey mustard glaze by combining honey, Dijon mustard, and whole grain mustard in a small bowl. This glaze will add an extra layer of flavor and a beautiful glossy finish to the chicken.
Coating and Baking the Chicken
Preheat your oven and place the marinated chicken breasts in a baking dish. Brush the honey mustard glaze generously over each chicken breast, ensuring they are well coated.
Adding a Golden Crisp
For a golden-brown finish, drizzle a bit of olive oil over the chicken breasts before baking. This will help create a beautiful caramelized crust.
Plating and Garnishing
Once the chicken is baked to perfection, plate it alongside your favorite sides. Garnish with fresh thyme leaves and lemon wedges for a burst of color and a touch of citrusy freshness.
Tips for Flavorful Success
- Make sure to coat the chicken breasts thoroughly with the honey mustard glaze to achieve a balanced flavor profile.
- Don’t overbake the chicken to prevent it from drying out. Use a meat thermometer to ensure it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C).
- Add a pinch of red pepper flakes to the honey mustard glaze for a hint of heat.
- Incorporate fresh rosemary or tarragon for a different herbaceous flavor.
Wine Pairing Suggestions
Pair this dish with a crisp and refreshing white wine like Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc. The wine’s acidity will complement the sweet and tangy flavors of the honey mustard glaze.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I use other cuts of chicken?
Certainly! While boneless and skinless chicken breasts work well, you can also use chicken thighs for a juicier option.
2. Can I use a different type of mustard?
Feel free to experiment with different mustard varieties for a unique twist on the flavor.
3. How can I make the dish less sweet?
You can adjust the amount of honey in the glaze to suit your taste preferences.
4. Can I grill the chicken instead of baking?
Absolutely! Grilling the chicken will add a smoky flavor that pairs wonderfully with the honey mustard glaze.
5. Can I prepare the glaze in advance?
The glaze can be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated until you’re ready to use it.
In conclusion, the Baked Honey Mustard Chicken recipe offers a harmonious blend of flavors that will leave your taste buds dancing with delight. With its simple yet irresistible combination of sweet and savory elements, this dish is a testament to the magic that can be created in the kitchen with just a few quality ingredients.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon chicken seasoning blend, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- ½ teaspoon white vinegar
- ⅛ teaspoon paprika
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary, optional but recommended
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Lightly grease a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
Heat 1½ tablespoon olive oil in a skillet.
Season chicken breasts all over with the chicken seasoning blend and add chicken breasts to the skillet; cook for 2 minutes on each side or until browned.
Meanwhile, prepare the honey mustard sauce and combine 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, honey, yellow mustard, dijon mustard, wholegrain mustard, white vinegar, and paprika in a small mixing bowl; whisk until well incorporated.
Transfer chicken breasts from the skillet to the baking dish.
Pour the prepared honey mustard sauce over the chicken breasts, turning the chicken over to cover each chicken breast entirely.
Arrange sprigs of rosemary between the chicken breasts.
Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
Remove cover and continue to bake for 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Cooking time will vary depending on the size/thickness of the chicken. Use an Instant Read Meat Thermometer to check for doneness – chicken is cooked through when the internal temperature registers at 165˚F.
Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes.
- Chicken: I suggest using boneless, skinless chicken breasts for this recipe, but if you want to try it with boneless chicken thighs, remember to give it a little more time to bake. To avoid dry or undercooked chicken, use an Instant Read Meat Thermometer to check for doneness.
- Chicken Seasoning Blend: If you do not want to use my chicken seasoning blend, go ahead and use your favorite herbs and spices for chicken breasts.
- Mustards: This is the best blend of mustards I have found to work for this particular recipe. You can use just one or two of the suggested mustards, but I recommend trying this recipe with all three.
- Rest Before Serving: Allow the baked chicken breasts to rest for a few minutes before slicing or serving. This helps the juices redistribute throughout the meat, producing a juicier and more flavorful chicken.
Nutrition InformationYield 1 Serving Size 4
Amount Per ServingCalories 1325Total Fat 46gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 34gCholesterol 408mgSodium 1103mgCarbohydrates 74gFiber 3gSugar 70gProtein 151g
The information contained herein is subject to change.