Easy Baked Honey Dijon Chicken Recipe
If you’re on the lookout for a delicious and hassle-free chicken recipe that’s bound to tantalize your taste buds, look no further than this Easy Baked Honey Dijon Chicken. With the perfect blend of sweet and tangy flavors, this dish is a true crowd-pleaser that you can effortlessly whip up in your own kitchen. In this article, we’ll walk you through the step-by-step process of creating this delectable dish that’s sure to become a family favorite.
Table of Contents
- Ingredients You’ll Need
- Marinating the Chicken
- Preparing the Honey Dijon Sauce
- Coating and Baking the Chicken
- Serving Suggestions
- Why Choose Baked Chicken?
- Health Benefits of Honey Dijon Chicken
- Making the Dish Kid-Friendly
- Customizing the Recipe
- Troubleshooting and Tips
- Cooking for a Crowd
- Storing Leftovers
- Frequently Asked Questions
Who doesn’t love a succulent piece of chicken that’s both easy to prepare and bursting with flavor? The Easy Baked Honey Dijon Chicken recipe combines the richness of honey and the zing of Dijon mustard to create a mouthwatering dish that requires minimal effort.
Ingredients You’ll Need
To get started, gather the following ingredients:
- Chicken breasts or thighs
- Salt and pepper
- Dijon mustard
- Garlic (minced)
- Olive oil
- Fresh thyme leaves (optional, for garnish)
Marinating the Chicken
- Preparing the Chicken: Begin by rinsing the chicken pieces and patting them dry with paper towels. This step helps the marinade adhere better to the meat.
- Seasoning: Sprinkle a pinch of salt and pepper on both sides of the chicken to enhance its flavor.
- Marinade: In a bowl, mix Dijon mustard, honey, minced garlic, and a dash of olive oil. Coat the chicken generously with this mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to let the flavors infuse.
Preparing the Honey Dijon Sauce
- Gather Your Ingredients: You’ll need Dijon mustard, honey, minced garlic, and a touch of olive oil.
- Mixing the Ingredients: Combine the Dijon mustard, honey, minced garlic, and olive oil in a bowl. Whisk them together until the mixture is smooth and well incorporated.
Coating and Baking the Chicken
- Preheat the Oven: Set your oven to 375°F (190°C) to preheat while you prepare the chicken.
- Coating the Chicken: Take the marinated chicken out of the refrigerator and let any excess marinade drip off. Place the chicken in a baking dish.
- Applying the Sauce: Generously brush the honey Dijon mixture onto both sides of the chicken.
- Baking: Place the baking dish in the preheated oven and bake for about 25-30 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked and has a beautiful golden color.
Pair your Easy Baked Honey Dijon Chicken with your choice of sides, such as steamed vegetables, rice, or a fresh salad. The dish’s vibrant flavors complement a variety of options.
Why Choose Baked Chicken?
Baking the chicken offers a healthier alternative to frying, as it requires less oil while still resulting in a moist and tender outcome. Plus, the oven’s even heat distribution ensures thorough cooking.
Health Benefits of Honey Dijon Chicken
The combination of honey and Dijon mustard not only creates an explosion of taste but also offers health benefits. Honey is known for its antioxidant properties, while Dijon mustard can aid in digestion.
Making the Dish Kid-Friendly
If you’re cooking for children, you can adjust the level of Dijon mustard to make the dish less spicy and more kid-friendly, ensuring everyone at the table enjoys it.
Customizing the Recipe
Feel free to experiment by adding herbs, spices, or even a hint of citrus to the marinade to create your unique twist on this recipe.
Troubleshooting and Tips
- If the chicken is browning too quickly, you can cover it with aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning.
- For extra flavor, you can sprinkle fresh thyme leaves over the chicken before serving.
Cooking for a Crowd
Need to feed a large group? Simply double or triple the recipe quantities and use larger baking dishes.
Refrigerate any leftover chicken in an airtight container. It can be reheated in the oven or microwave for a quick and tasty meal.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use chicken drumsticks instead of breasts?
Yes, you can absolutely use chicken drumsticks or any other cuts you prefer.
Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
Certainly! You can marinate the chicken in advance and bake it when you’re ready to serve.
Is this recipe suitable for a gluten-free diet?
Yes, just ensure that the Dijon mustard you’re using is gluten-free.
Can I freeze the marinated chicken?
Freezing the chicken in the marinade is not recommended, as the texture may change upon thawing.
Can I use a different sweetener than honey?
While honey contributes to the unique flavor, you can experiment with alternatives like maple syrup.
Indulge in the delightful symphony of flavors that the Easy Baked Honey Dijon Chicken recipe brings to your plate. With its simplicity, health benefits, and customizable nature, it’s a must-try dish for both novice and seasoned cooks. So, roll up your sleeves and embark on a culinary journey that promises to satisfy your cravings with every bite.
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons whole grain Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (or tamari or omit for gluten-free)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced/grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup chicken broth (or water)
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts (or thighs)
- 2-3 sprigs of rosemary
- Mix the honey, mustards, vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, salt, pepper, and broth, and toss with the chicken, place it all in a baking dish with the chicken in a single layer before placing the sprigs of rosemary in between the chicken.
- Bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven until the chicken is cooked through, about 25-35 minutes. *
- Serve topped with the sauce from the pan!
Cover the pan while baking for a moister chicken with more liquid/sauce, and uncovered for a darker, more golden brown colour, with a thicker sauce.
Option: Replace the honey with maple syrup!
Option: Add 1/4 cup parmesan cheese to the honey dijon sauce!
Option: Add 1 tablespoon white miso paste to the honey dijon sauce!
Option: Add 1/2 teaspoon curry powder to the honey dijon sauce!
Option: Add sriracha (or other chili sauce) to taste to the honey dijon sauce!
Nutrition InformationYield 1 Serving Size 4
Amount Per ServingCalories 1087Total Fat 19gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 388mgSodium 3597mgCarbohydrates 80gFiber 5gSugar 71gProtein 146g
The information contained herein is subject to change.