Grilled Chili Lime Chicken Thighs Recipe
Fire up the grill and get ready to tantalize your taste buds with the explosive flavors of Grilled Chili Lime Chicken Thighs. This delectable recipe combines the smokiness of the grill with the zesty kick of chili and the bright freshness of lime, resulting in a dish that’s both succulent and satisfying. In this article, we’ll take you through the steps to create this mouthwatering masterpiece, perfect for your next barbecue or family dinner.
Ingredients You’ll Need
Before we dive into the grilling process, let’s gather all the ingredients required to make Grilled Chili Lime Chicken Thighs.
For the Marinade:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Zest and juice of 2 limes
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
For Garnish (optional):
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- Lime wedges
Marinating the Chicken
The secret to the incredible flavor of these chicken thighs lies in the marinade.
Step 1: Prepare the Marinade
In a bowl, combine the minced garlic, olive oil, lime zest, lime juice, chili powder, paprika, salt, and black pepper. Mix them together until you have a well-blended marinade.
Step 2: Marinate the Chicken
Place the chicken thighs in a resealable plastic bag or a shallow dish. Pour the marinade over the chicken, ensuring it’s evenly coated. Seal the bag or cover the dish and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or if time permits, let it marinate for up to 4 hours for maximum flavor.
Grilling the Chicken
Now that our chicken thighs are infused with flavor, it’s time to fire up the grill.
Step 1: Preheat the Grill
Preheat your grill to medium-high heat, around 375-400°F (190-205°C).
Step 2: Grill the Chicken
Remove the chicken from the marinade and place it on the preheated grill. Grill for approximately 6-8 minutes per side or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C) and the chicken is no longer pink in the center.
Step 3: Baste with Marinade
While grilling, baste the chicken occasionally with the remaining marinade to lock in those enticing flavors.
Serving and Enjoying
Once your Grilled Chili Lime Chicken Thighs are perfectly grilled and irresistibly aromatic, it’s time to serve and savor.
Step 1: Rest and Garnish
Remove the chicken from the grill and let it rest for a few minutes. This allows the juices to redistribute, ensuring a juicy and tender result. You can garnish with fresh cilantro leaves and lime wedges for an extra burst of flavor.
Step 2: Serve with Your Favorites
Serve the chicken thighs alongside your favorite sides. Whether it’s a crisp garden salad, grilled vegetables, or fluffy rice, this dish pairs beautifully with a variety of accompaniments.
Grilled Chili Lime Chicken Thighs are a true delight for the palate. The smoky, charred exterior and the juicy, flavorful interior make these chicken thighs a must-try for any barbecue enthusiast or lover of bold, tangy flavors. With a simple yet vibrant marinade, this recipe is not only delicious but also incredibly easy to prepare.
So, fire up your grill, grab your apron, and treat yourself to this sensational dish that’s sure to become a favorite in your repertoire of grilled delights.
- Can I use chicken breasts instead of chicken thighs?
While chicken thighs are preferred for their tenderness and flavor, you can certainly use chicken breasts if you prefer white meat. Just be cautious not to overcook them, as they can become dry.
- What if I don’t have a grill?
If you don’t have a grill, you can use a stovetop grill pan or bake the marinated chicken in the oven at 375°F (190°C) until it reaches the recommended internal temperature.
- Is there a substitute for fresh lime juice?
If you don’t have fresh limes, you can use bottled lime juice, but fresh lime juice is recommended for the best flavor.
- Can I make the marinade in advance?
Yes, you can prepare the marinade a day ahead and store it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use it.
- Are there any alternative spices for the marinade?
You can experiment with different spices like cumin, coriander, or even a dash of cayenne pepper to customize the flavor to your liking.
For the marinade:
- 3 limes, juice and zest *(see first note), plus more for serving
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp ground paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
For the chicken:
- 12 medium boneless skinless chicken thighs
- In a large bowl, whisk together the marinade ingredients until well-combined.
- Add the chicken thighs to the marinade. Massage the chicken with yourhands, making sure the chicken is well-coated with the sauce.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and marinate for at least four hours or overnight in the refrigerator for best results.
- Heat up the grill to medium-high. Lightly oil the grill grates *(seesecond note) before placing the marinated chicken thighs about an inchor two apart on the grill. Discard the excess marinade.
- Grill the chicken thighs for about 6-7 minutes on each side, flippingonce. The internal temperature of cooked chicken should reach at least165 degrees F before removing from the grill.
- Let the chicken thighs rest for five minutes before cutting into them. Serve with additional lime wedges on the side.
- *Three limes yield approximately 1/3 cup of juice and 3 teaspoons of zest.
- **When oiling your grill, choose an oil that can tolerate high heat such as vegetable oil, canola oil, or grapeseed oil. Add a small amount of oil (so it’s soaked, but not leaking) to a couple wadded paper towels. Using tongs holding the oiled paper towels, wipe evenly over each grill grate. Careful not to apply too much oil or it may cause a flare-up.
- Be mindful of the spices you use and adjust the amount of spices if you want. Not all chili powders have the same heat levels. Some are very spicy, and others are quite mild. Same goes for ground paprika. I used a milder form of both, but use the type (heat-level) you prefer.
Nutrition InformationYield 1 Serving Size 12
Amount Per ServingCalories 2114Total Fat 97gSaturated Fat 23gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 72gCholesterol 1054mgSodium 4262mgCarbohydrates 114gFiber 12gSugar 77gProtein 215g
The information contained herein is subject to change.