Baked Mushrooms in Parmesan Cream Sauce Recipe
Mushrooms have a unique earthy flavor that pairs wonderfully with creamy sauces. This baked mushrooms in Parmesan cream sauce recipe combines the umami-rich goodness of mushrooms with the indulgent richness of a cheesy cream sauce. It’s a delightful dish that’s perfect for a special dinner or even as a side dish for your favorite meal. So, let’s get started with this mouthwatering recipe.
To make this delectable dish, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 16 ounces of fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream
- 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup of chicken or vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
Preparing the Mushrooms
1. Cleaning the Mushrooms
Begin by cleaning the mushrooms. Use a damp paper towel to gently wipe away any dirt or debris on the mushroom caps. Avoid washing them under running water as mushrooms tend to absorb water, which can affect the final texture and flavor.
2. Slicing the Mushrooms
After cleaning, slice the mushrooms. You can choose to slice them thinly or keep them in larger pieces, depending on your preference. Slicing them allows for better cooking and flavor absorption.
Making the Parmesan Cream Sauce
In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and sauté for a minute until fragrant. Then, add the sliced mushrooms and cook them until they become tender and browned. It usually takes about 5-7 minutes.
Pour in the heavy cream, chicken or vegetable broth, and grated Parmesan cheese. Stir everything together until the cheese is fully melted and the sauce becomes creamy. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Baking the Mushrooms
Transfer the mushroom mixture into an oven-safe dish. You can use a baking dish or a cast-iron skillet. Bake in a preheated oven at 375°F (190°C) for about 20-25 minutes or until the top is golden and bubbly.
Once out of the oven, garnish the dish with freshly chopped parsley. This not only adds a pop of color but also a fresh, herby flavor that complements the rich creaminess of the sauce. You can serve the baked mushrooms in Parmesan cream sauce as a side dish with grilled chicken, steak, or as a topping for pasta.
Tips for Success
- Use fresh mushrooms for the best flavor. You can choose white button mushrooms, cremini, or even wild mushrooms for a unique twist.
- Don’t skip the garlic. It adds a wonderful depth of flavor to the dish.
- Adjust the thickness of the sauce by adding more or less cream as per your preference.
Health Benefits of Mushrooms
Mushrooms are not only delicious but also nutritious. They are a good source of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. They’re low in calories and can be a healthy addition to your diet.
Variations to Try
Feel free to customize this dish to your liking. You can add ingredients like cooked bacon, spinach, or even sun-dried tomatoes to the sauce for extra flavor. Get creative and make it your own!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- How do I clean mushrooms properly? To clean mushrooms, use a damp paper towel or a soft brush to wipe off any dirt. Avoid soaking them in water as they can become soggy.
- Can I use different types of mushrooms for this recipe? Absolutely! You can use white button mushrooms, cremini, portobello, or any other variety you prefer.
- What can I substitute for heavy cream? If you want a lighter option, you can use half-and-half or milk, though the sauce may not be as rich.
- Can I make this dish ahead of time? While it’s best served fresh, you can prepare the sauce in advance and bake the mushrooms just before serving for the best texture.
- What pairs well with baked mushrooms in Parmesan cream sauce? This dish complements a wide range of main courses, including grilled chicken, steak, or pasta. It’s a versatile side dish that goes well with many options.
Get ready to savor the incredible combination of tender, baked mushrooms and the creamy Parmesan sauce. It’s a dish that’ll impress your guests and satisfy your taste buds. Enjoy!
- 1 lb. mushrooms cleaned and stems removed
- ½ c. butter
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- ½ c. half and half
- ¼ c. Swanson Beef Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- ¼ cup sherry or white wine
- Dash of freshly ground pepper
- ½ c. Panko bread crumbs yes, you can use regular crumbs but these offer a better crunch
- ½ c. freshly grated Parmesan
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley for garnish optional
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter shallow baking dish.
Arrange mushrooms in dish stemmed side down.
Melt 1/2 cup butter in small saucepan over low heat. Increase heat to medium-high, blend in flour and cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
Combine half and half, stock, sherry and pepper and bring to a simmer.
Remove from heat and pour sauce evenly over mushrooms.
Bake for 20-25 minutes until mushrooms look tender.
Sprinkle with bread/cheese mixture and continue baking until cheese melts, approximately 5 minutes.
Remove from oven and sprinkle with parsley for garnish.
Nutrition InformationYield 1 Serving Size 8
Amount Per ServingCalories 2048Total Fat 143gSaturated Fat 82gTrans Fat 5gUnsaturated Fat 50gCholesterol 454mgSodium 3152mgCarbohydrates 97gFiber 13gSugar 23gProtein 73g
The information contained herein is subject to change.