Creamy Chicken Stroganoff Recipe
Creamy Chicken Stroganoff is a delightful twist on the classic beef stroganoff. This comforting dish combines tender pieces of chicken with a rich and creamy mushroom sauce, all served over a bed of egg noodles or rice. It’s a quick and easy recipe that’s perfect for weeknight dinners or special occasions when you want a hearty and satisfying meal. Let’s dive into the details of this Creamy Chicken Stroganoff recipe and learn how to create a creamy, savory, and utterly delicious dish.
For the Chicken Stroganoff:
- 1 pound (450g) boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces (225g) mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Cooked egg noodles or rice, for serving
1. Sauté the Chicken:
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the bite-sized chicken pieces and cook until they are browned on all sides and cooked through, about 5-7 minutes. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set it aside.
2. Sauté the Onions and Mushrooms:
- In the same skillet, add the finely chopped onion and sliced mushrooms. Sauté them for about 5 minutes, or until the mushrooms are browned, and the onions are translucent. Add the minced garlic and cook for an additional minute until fragrant.
3. Create the Sauce:
- Sprinkle the tablespoon of all-purpose flour over the sautéed mushrooms and onions. Stir well to combine, allowing the flour to cook for a minute to remove any raw taste.
- Slowly pour in the chicken broth while stirring continuously to avoid lumps. Bring the mixture to a simmer, allowing it to thicken.
4. Add the Seasonings:
- Stir in the sour cream, Dijon mustard, and paprika, combining all the ingredients until the sauce is creamy and well-mixed. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Adjust the seasoning to your preference.
5. Return the Chicken:
- Return the cooked chicken pieces to the skillet, along with any juices that may have accumulated on the plate. Stir to coat the chicken with the creamy mushroom sauce.
6. Simmer and Serve:
- Let the mixture simmer for an additional 5 minutes to ensure that the chicken is heated through and all the flavors meld together.
7. Garnish and Serve:
- To serve, ladle the creamy chicken stroganoff over cooked egg noodles or rice.
- Garnish with freshly chopped parsley for a burst of color and freshness.
Creamy Chicken Stroganoff is a comforting and satisfying dish that offers a delightful twist on the traditional beef stroganoff. The creamy mushroom sauce, infused with Dijon mustard and paprika, adds a rich and savory flavor to tender pieces of chicken. This easy-to-make recipe is a go-to option for a quick and delicious weeknight dinner or when you crave a comforting meal on a special occasion. Serve it over a bed of egg noodles or rice, and garnish with fresh parsley for a pop of color. Enjoy the creamy goodness of this Chicken Stroganoff!
- 2 chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Flour for dredging
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 7 ounces cremini mushrooms sliced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce or more, to taste
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard or more, to taste
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup full fat sour cream
Cut the chicken into 1" pieces. Sprinkle them with garlic powder and generously with salt & pepper, then coat each piece in flour.
Add 2 tablespoons of the oil to a deep skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken in 2 batches so the pan isn't over-crowded and the chicken browns evenly. Once the pan is hot, add the chicken and cook it for about 3 minutes/side or until cooked through (165F) & lightly browned (I flip it once using tongs to make it easy). The second batch tends to cook a bit faster because the pan gets hotter (you may need to turn the heat down a bit). For the second batch, I add another tablespoon of olive oil because the pan goes dry. Transfer cooked chicken to a plate.
Add the butter to the pan and let it melt, then add the mushrooms and onions. Sauté for 6-8 minutes or until their water has been released, cooks off, and the mushrooms get a nice sear.
Stir in the Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic. Cook for about a minute.
Add in the broth and scrape up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the chicken back in and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in the sour cream and let it heat through for about a minute or so (don't let it bubble too much or there's a chance it'll curdle). Season with more salt & pepper as needed and serve immediately.
Nutrition InformationYield 1 Serving Size 4
Amount Per ServingCalories 1655Total Fat 85gSaturated Fat 27gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 50gCholesterol 306mgSodium 1811mgCarbohydrates 123gFiber 6gSugar 13gProtein 98g
The information contained herein is subject to change.