Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken Pasta Recipe
This Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken Pasta is a delightful blend of tender chicken, rich and creamy tomato sauce, and the bold flavors of sun-dried tomatoes. It’s a comforting and indulgent dish that’s perfect for a special dinner or any time you crave a comforting meal.
Ingredients You’ll Need:
1. For the Chicken and Pasta:
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces (about 225g) fettuccine pasta or your preferred pasta
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes (packed in oil), drained and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Fresh basil leaves, for garnish (optional)
1. Cooking the Chicken
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the seasoned chicken breasts to the skillet and cook for about 6-7 minutes on each side or until they are cooked through and have a golden-brown crust.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and set it aside to rest.
2. Cooking the Pasta
- In the same skillet, add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Add the minced garlic and sauté for about 1 minute until fragrant.
- Pour in the chicken broth, heavy cream, and dried herbs (basil and oregano). Bring the mixture to a gentle simmer.
- Add the fettuccine pasta and stir well.
- Cook the pasta in the creamy sauce, stirring occasionally, for about 10-12 minutes or until it’s al dente and the sauce has thickened.
3. Preparing the Sauce
- Stir in the grated Parmesan cheese and chopped sun-dried tomatoes into the creamy pasta mixture.
- Slice the cooked chicken breasts into thin strips and add them back into the skillet with the pasta and sauce.
- Gently combine everything and let it simmer for an additional 2-3 minutes until the chicken is heated through.
Serve your Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken Pasta hot, garnished with fresh basil leaves if desired. You can also sprinkle some extra Parmesan cheese on top for an extra burst of flavor.
Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken Pasta is a mouthwatering dish that combines creamy, tangy, and savory flavors in one satisfying bite. It’s a perfect choice for a cozy dinner at home or when you want to impress your family and friends with a restaurant-quality meal.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I use sun-dried tomatoes not packed in oil?
While sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil provide a richer flavor and texture, you can use the dried variety. Simply rehydrate them by soaking them in warm water for about 15-20 minutes before chopping and adding them to the dish.
2. Can I use a different type of pasta?
Yes, you can use any pasta variety you prefer or have on hand. Penne, spaghetti, or linguine would work well with this creamy sun-dried tomato chicken sauce.
3. Can I substitute heavy cream with a lighter option?
If you prefer a lighter sauce, you can substitute heavy cream with half-and-half or even whole milk. Keep in mind that the sauce’s richness and thickness will vary based on your choice.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup diced shallots
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1/3 cup sun dried tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 8 ounces uncooked fusilli or penne pasta
- 2 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups packed baby spinach
- 2 ounces low fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- Add a tablespoon of olive oil to a large deep skillet or pot. Heat the oil over medium-high heat and then add in the chicken. Spread it into a single layer and season with salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes. Sauté the chicken for 6-8 minutes or until it’s cooked through. Remove the chicken onto a plate.
- If needed add additional oil to the pot. Add in the shallots, sun dried tomatoes and garlic. Sauté for 2 minutes and then pour in the chicken broth. Scrape up any brown bits from the bottom of the pot and bring it to a boil.
- Pour in the pasta and lower the heat to medium. Cook the pasta until it’s al dente, 15-20 minutes, stirring often. During the last minute of cooking, add in the spinach and stir until it’s wilted.
- Stir in the cream cheese and parmesan until they’re melted and fully incorporated. Add the chicken back into the pot along with the milk. Stir everything until the sauce thickens and it’s heated through, 3-5 minutes. Taste for seasoning. Remove the pasta from the heat and top it with fresh basil and extra parmesan cheese.
Nutrition InformationYield 1 Serving Size 4
Amount Per ServingCalories 2002Total Fat 60gSaturated Fat 22gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 32gCholesterol 455mgSodium 1542mgCarbohydrates 163gFiber 13gSugar 32gProtein 200g
The information contained herein is subject to change.