Mushroom Chicken Recipe
Are you looking for a delightful yet easy-to-make dinner option? Look no further than this scrumptious mushroom chicken recipe! With tender chicken breast pieces combined with flavorful mushrooms, this dish is sure to become a favorite among both family and friends. Let’s dive into the details of how to make this mouthwatering meal.
To prepare this delectable mushroom chicken recipe, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms (any variety of your choice)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preparing the Ingredients
Before you start cooking, it’s essential to prepare your ingredients properly. Begin by slicing the mushrooms, mincing the garlic, and chopping the onion. Cut the chicken breasts into evenly-sized pieces to ensure they cook uniformly.
Sautéing the Chicken
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken breast pieces to the skillet and season with salt and pepper. Cook until the chicken is golden brown on all sides and cooked through, approximately 6-8 minutes per side. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set it aside.
Adding Mushrooms and Seasoning
In the same skillet, add the sliced mushrooms and chopped onion. Sauté until the mushrooms are tender and the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook for an additional minute, stirring constantly to prevent burning.
Simmering to Perfection
Return the cooked chicken breast pieces to the skillet. Pour in the chicken broth and bring the mixture to a simmer. Allow it to cook for 10-15 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld together and the sauce to thicken slightly. Stir in the heavy cream and fresh parsley, and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
Once your mushroom chicken is cooked to perfection, it’s time to serve! This dish pairs beautifully with steamed rice, mashed potatoes, or crusty bread. Garnish with additional chopped parsley for a pop of color and freshness.
Health Benefits of Mushroom Chicken
Not only is this mushroom chicken recipe incredibly delicious, but it’s also packed with nutritional benefits. Mushrooms are low in calories and fat but rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Combined with lean chicken breast, this dish provides a satisfying and nutritious meal option.
Variations and Substitutions
Feel free to customize this recipe to suit your preferences. You can add additional vegetables such as bell peppers or spinach for extra flavor and nutrition. For a dairy-free option, substitute coconut milk for the heavy cream. Experiment with different herbs and spices to create your unique twist on this classic dish.
Tips for Success
- Use fresh, high-quality ingredients for the best flavor.
- Don’t overcrowd the skillet when cooking the chicken to ensure proper browning.
- Adjust the seasoning according to your taste preferences.
- Allow the dish to simmer gently to allow the flavors to develop fully.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Can I use bone-in chicken for this recipe? Yes, you can use bone-in chicken pieces if you prefer. Just be sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- Can I make this recipe ahead of time? Yes, you can prepare the mushroom chicken in advance and reheat it before serving. Store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- What can I serve with mushroom chicken? This dish pairs well with a variety of sides, including rice, pasta, quinoa, or a simple green salad.
- Can I freeze mushroom chicken? While you can freeze leftovers, the texture of the cream sauce may change slightly upon thawing. It’s best enjoyed fresh, but leftovers can be frozen for up to 3 months.
- Can I use different types of mushrooms? Absolutely! Feel free to experiment with different varieties such as cremini, shiitake, or oyster mushrooms to add depth of flavor to the dish.
In conclusion, this mushroom chicken recipe is a fantastic option for a delicious and nutritious meal. With simple ingredients and easy-to-follow instructions, you can whip up this savory dish in no time. Whether you’re cooking for a family dinner or entertaining guests, this flavorful recipe is sure to impress. Give it a try today and enjoy the delightful combination of tender chicken and savory mushrooms!
- 10 oz. mushrooms, button or baby bella work well
- 2 Tablespoons salted butter
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 3-4 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 ½ cups beef broth
- 1 chicken bouillon cube or 1 tsp better than bouillon
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce, can sub Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon EACH: mustard powder, dried thyme
- ½ cup dry white wine, see notes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
Combine beef broth, chicken bouillon, soy sauce, onion powder, mustard powder, and thyme. Set aside.
Combine cornstarch with 3 Tablespoons of cold water in a sealable container and shake to combine. Set aside in a cool place.
Gently rinse mushrooms and pat completely dry. Slice if needed.
Slice the chicken lengthwise into 2-3 thinner slices. Pound with a meat tenderizer if needed, the chicken will plump up more when cooked. Aim for ½ inch thick slices.
Cook the Mushrooms
Melt butter over medium-high heat and add the mushrooms. Allow them to brown on each side for 3-4 minutes, undisturbed. Sauté in batches if needed, leaving space around them will allow them to crisp up more. Add a little more butter and/or a splash of olive oil during cooking if needed. Remove once golden brown and set aside on a plate.
Dredge/Sear the Chicken
Lightly sprinkle each side of the chicken with salt and pepper. Dredge in flour and tap off excess.
Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add 3 pieces of chicken, leaving room around each. Sauté for 4-5 minutes per side, until a golden brown crust has developed. Remove and set aside. Repeat with the remaining 3 pieces of chicken.
Pro Tips: Make slight adjustments to the heat, (up or down), as needed during cooking. Add an additional splash of olive oil if needed throughout cooking. Try to leave the chicken undisturbed as it cooks to get a nice crusty sear.
Deglaze the Pan
Turn the heat off and remove any excess oil, but leave the brown bits in the pan. (This is called “fond” and will give the sauce plenty of flavor.)
Add the white wine and the garlic and set heat to medium. Use a silicone spatula to “clean” the bottom of the pot. Let it bubble gently until reduced by half, about 4 minutes.
Finish the Sauce
Add the beef broth mixture and increase heat slightly to bring to a gentle boil. Let it bubble and reduce for 10 minutes.
Shake the reserved cornstarch mixture and slowly add it to the bubbling sauce, stirring continuously, until incorporated. The sauce will thicken pretty quickly. Reduce heat to low.
Slowly add in the cream, stirring continuously. Add the mushrooms.
Add the chicken back to the pot along with any juices from the plate. Spoon the sauce on top. Cover partially and let the chicken heat through for 5 minutes or so. Serve with mashed potatoes or Buttered Noodles and roasted green beans or asparagus.
- Pinot Grigio or Chardonnay make good wine choices in this recipe. Marsala wine can also be used.
- Wine Substitute: 1/2 Cup chicken broth and 1 Tbsp. butter can be used instead of white wine if needed.
- The mushrooms are cooked separately in this recipe and are mixed into the sauce at the end. This lets them release some of their water, concentrate their flavor, and give them a nice golden color.
- To control the sodium in this recipe, consider using unsalted butter, reduced or no sodium broth, and low sodium soy sauce. You can also refrain from adding bouillon, although it does add a nice depth of flavor.
- The nutritional information assumes that all of the flour is used but there will likely be some leftover.
Nutrition InformationYield 1 Serving Size 4
Amount Per ServingCalories 2816Total Fat 160gSaturated Fat 56gTrans Fat 2gUnsaturated Fat 94gCholesterol 522mgSodium 6223mgCarbohydrates 171gFiber 13gSugar 22gProtein 152g
The information contained herein is subject to change.