Pear, Prosciutto, and Gorgonzola Pizza Recipe
If you’re a pizza enthusiast looking to elevate your pizza game, the Pear, Prosciutto, and Gorgonzola Pizza might be your new favorite. This delightful creation balances the sweetness of ripe pears with the saltiness of prosciutto and the bold flavor of Gorgonzola cheese. In this article, we’ll guide you through the steps to make this gourmet pizza at home.
A Perfect Marriage of Flavors
The combination of sweet, salty, and creamy in this pizza makes it an instant crowd-pleaser. You’ll find yourself coming back for more, and the best part is, it’s easy to prepare.
For your Pear, Prosciutto, and Gorgonzola Pizza, gather these ingredients:
For the Pizza
- 1 pizza dough (homemade or store-bought)
- 2 ripe pears, thinly sliced
- 4-6 slices of prosciutto
- 1 cup Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Fresh arugula (optional, for garnish)
- Olive oil
1. Preheat the Oven
Preheat your oven to the highest temperature it can reach (usually around 500°F or 260°C). If you have a pizza stone, place it in the oven while preheating.
2. Roll Out the Pizza Dough
Roll out your pizza dough on a lightly floured surface to your desired thickness. If you’re using a pizza stone, transfer the dough to a pizza peel or an inverted baking sheet dusted with cornmeal.
3. Add Olive Oil
Drizzle a little olive oil over the pizza dough and spread it evenly with a brush or the back of a spoon.
4. Arrange the Pears
Place the thinly sliced pears evenly over the oiled dough.
5. Prosciutto and Gorgonzola
Drape the slices of prosciutto over the pears, and then distribute the crumbled Gorgonzola cheese and chopped walnuts.
6. Bake to Perfection
Transfer your pizza (or place the pizza stone in the oven) and bake for about 10-12 minutes or until the crust is golden, the cheese is bubbling, and the prosciutto is slightly crispy.
7. Drizzle with Honey
Once your pizza is out of the oven, drizzle it with honey for that perfect sweet touch.
Garnish and Serve
For an extra touch of freshness, you can add a handful of fresh arugula on top of the pizza. The peppery arugula complements the sweetness of the pears and adds a burst of green color.
The Pear, Prosciutto, and Gorgonzola Pizza is a true masterpiece of flavors. Its unique combination of ingredients and contrasting tastes will have your taste buds singing. Whether you’re making it for a special occasion or simply indulging yourself, this pizza is a winner.
1. Can I use a different type of pear for this pizza?
Certainly! While ripe Bartlett or Anjou pears work well, you can use your favorite pear variety as long as they’re sweet and ripe.
2. What’s a good substitute for Gorgonzola cheese?
If you prefer a milder cheese, try using blue cheese or even goat cheese. They will offer a similar creamy texture and a tangy flavor.
3. Can I make this pizza vegetarian?
Absolutely. Omit the prosciutto, and you’ll have a delicious pear and Gorgonzola pizza with all the same flavors.
4. Can I use pre-made pizza dough from the store?
Yes, store-bought pizza dough is a convenient option for this recipe. Just follow the package instructions for best results.
5. Any other toppings that go well with this pizza?
Additional toppings like a drizzle of balsamic glaze, caramelized onions, or a sprinkle of fresh thyme can enhance the flavors of this pizza.
Enjoy your homemade Pear, Prosciutto, and Gorgonzola Pizza – a delectable combination of sweet, salty, and creamy that’s sure to impress your friends and family.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pound pizza dough
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 pear, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup shredded smoked gouda cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup crumbled gorgonzola cheese
- 3 slices of prosciutto, rolled up and sliced thinly
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a baking sheet or pizza stone with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet add 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Heat over medium heat then add the sliced onion and cook until it softens and turns golden brown (about 10 minutes).
- Roll the pizza dough out onto the sheet or stone. Brush the teaspoon of olive oil all over the top of the dough, then sprinkle on salt, pepper, and the fresh thyme.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheeses and gorgonzola crumbles all over the pizza. Top evenly with the sliced pear, prosciutto, and caramelized onions.
- Bake the pizza for 10-15 minutes or until it is bubbly and golden. Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
If you don't like smoked gouda, regular gouda or more mozzarella may be used instead.
Nutrition InformationYield 1 Serving Size 8
Amount Per ServingCalories 1975Total Fat 67gSaturated Fat 22gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 41gCholesterol 157mgSodium 5801mgCarbohydrates 250gFiber 17gSugar 33gProtein 93g
The information contained herein is subject to change.