Homemade Sausage Egg McMuffin Recipe
If you’re a fan of the iconic Sausage Egg McMuffin from a well-known fast-food chain, you’ll be delighted to know that you can recreate this classic breakfast sandwich in the comfort of your own kitchen. This homemade version combines the savory goodness of sausage, the richness of a fried egg, and the fluffiness of an English muffin. In this article, we’ll guide you through creating your very own Homemade Sausage Egg McMuffin.
A Breakfast Classic
The Sausage Egg McMuffin is a beloved breakfast staple for many. Making it at home allows you to customize it to your taste and enjoy it anytime you like.
For your Homemade Sausage Egg McMuffin, gather the following ingredients:
For the Sausage Patty
- 4 breakfast sausage patties
- 4 English muffins, split
- 4 slices of American cheese
- 4 large eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook the Sausage
Start by cooking the sausage patties in a skillet over medium heat. Cook them until they’re browned and fully cooked, which usually takes about 4-5 minutes per side. Once done, set them aside on a plate.
2. Toast the English Muffins
In the same skillet, add a little butter if needed, and toast the split English muffins until they are golden brown and slightly crisp.
3. Fry the Eggs
While toasting the muffins, cook the eggs in the skillet. You can use the same skillet to save time and create uniform round shapes by using a round egg mold or a metal ring. Season the eggs with salt and pepper.
4. Assemble Your Homemade McMuffin
Take one half of a toasted English muffin and place a slice of American cheese on the bottom. Top it with a cooked sausage patty, followed by a fried egg. Finish with the other half of the toasted English muffin. Repeat this process for the remaining muffins.
One of the best things about making your own Sausage Egg McMuffin at home is the ability to customize it. Add a slice of tomato, some sautéed onions, or a dollop of ketchup or hot sauce to make it your own.
Serve your Homemade Sausage Egg McMuffins warm. They’re perfect for a quick and satisfying breakfast on busy mornings.
Creating a Homemade Sausage Egg McMuffin is a delicious and satisfying way to start your day. With just a few simple ingredients and a little bit of effort, you can enjoy this iconic breakfast sandwich whenever you like.
1. Can I use turkey or chicken sausage instead of pork sausage?
Certainly! Feel free to use your preferred type of breakfast sausage to create your McMuffin.
2. Can I make these in advance and reheat them later?
While it’s best to enjoy your McMuffin fresh, you can make the components (sausage, eggs, and toasted muffins) in advance and reheat them when you’re ready to assemble.
3. What’s the best way to cook the eggs for this recipe?
You can fry the eggs to your desired level of doneness. Many people enjoy them with a runny yolk, but you can cook them longer if you prefer a firmer yolk.
4. Are there any vegetarian alternatives to this sandwich?
To create a vegetarian version, you can use vegetarian sausage patties or opt for a sliced and sautéed vegetable like bell peppers or mushrooms instead of sausage.
5. Can I use a different type of cheese?
Of course! American cheese is traditional, but you can use cheddar, Swiss, or any other cheese you prefer.
Enjoy your homemade Sausage Egg McMuffin – a delightful breakfast treat made exactly to your liking.
For Sausage Patties:
- 3/4 lb ground pork or you can use 1 lb if you prefer to have a thicker patty
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
For the McMuffin:
- 4 English muffins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 eggs
- 4 slices American cheese
- cooking spray
- optional butter
Cook the Eggs
- Add 1/2 tablespoon of oil to a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Place egg rings (or mason jar lid screw side up) into the skillet. Spray with cooking spray.
- Crack each egg into a mason jar lid (screw-side up) or an egg ring. Break the yolks with a fork.
- Add about 1/4 cup water into the skillet and then cover with a lid.
- Cook for about 2 minutes or to your liking. Set aside.
Toast English Muffins
- Split English Muffins into halves and toast them in a toaster.
- Remove from the toaster and spread with butter if prefer.
Make Sausage Patties
- Add ground pork, Italian seasoning, onion powder, salt, pepper, and sugar into a mixing bowl. Mix until well combined using your hands.
- Shape into 4 patties that are slightly larger than the muffins. (The patties will shrink once cooked.)
- Add ½ tablespoon of oil to a large non-stick skillet over high heat. Once hot, place the patties on the skillet. Cook the first side for about 3 minutes or until browned. Flip the patties and cook for about 3 minutes until cooked through. Turn off the heat.
- Top with cheese and cover with a lid to melt the cheese.
- Place the bottom English Muffin on a plate. Then add the sausage patties with melted cheese.
- Add the egg on top, and then add the top English Muffin. Serve hot and enjoy!
Nutrition InformationYield 1 Serving Size 4
Amount Per ServingCalories 2665Total Fat 161gSaturated Fat 62gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 85gCholesterol 1263mgSodium 4401mgCarbohydrates 119gFiber 7gSugar 8gProtein 174g
The information contained herein is subject to change.