Rice Krispie Treat Pumpkins Recipe: A Spooky and Delicious Halloween Treat
Halloween is just around the corner, and what better way to celebrate this spooky holiday than by making Rice Krispie Treat Pumpkins? These adorable and tasty treats are not only a hit with kids but also a fun activity for the whole family. In this article, we’ll guide you through the step-by-step process of creating these pumpkin-shaped delights. So, grab your apron and let’s get started!
Ingredients You’ll Need
Before we dive into the recipe, let’s gather all the ingredients you’ll need:
For the Rice Krispie Treats
- 6 cups of Rice Krispies cereal
- 1/4 cup of unsalted butter
- 4 cups of mini marshmallows
- Orange food coloring
For the Pumpkin Decorations
- Green fruit roll-ups
- Pretzel sticks
Step 1: Preparing the Rice Krispie Treat Mixture
- In a large saucepan, melt the unsalted butter over low heat.
- Add the mini marshmallows to the melted butter and stir until they are completely melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and add a few drops of orange food coloring to achieve the desired pumpkin color. Stir well.
Step 2: Mixing in the Rice Krispies
- Gently fold in the 6 cups of Rice Krispies cereal into the marshmallow mixture. Make sure all the cereal is well coated.
Step 3: Shaping the Pumpkins
- Grease your hands with a little bit of butter to prevent sticking, then scoop out a portion of the Rice Krispie mixture and form it into a ball.
- While the mixture is still warm and pliable, use your hands to shape the ball into a pumpkin-like shape, with a slightly flattened top and ridges on the sides.
Step 4: Adding Pumpkin Details
- Take a small piece of green fruit roll-up and roll it into a stem shape. Insert a pretzel stick into the top of the pumpkin as the stem, securing it with the green fruit roll-up.
Step 5: Letting Them Cool
- Place the finished Rice Krispie Pumpkins on a wax paper-lined tray to cool and set for about 30 minutes.
Step 6: Enjoy Your Spooky Treats
- Once the Rice Krispie Treat Pumpkins have cooled and set, they are ready to be enjoyed! Serve them at your Halloween party or share them with friends and family.
Making Rice Krispie Treat Pumpkins is a delightful Halloween tradition that adds a touch of sweetness to the spookiness of the season. With just a few simple ingredients and some creativity, you can create these adorable pumpkin-shaped treats that are perfect for both kids and adults. So, this Halloween, try your hand at making these tasty and fun treats that will surely be a hit with everyone.
- Can I use a different cereal for this recipe?
- While Rice Krispies are the traditional choice, you can experiment with other cereals for unique flavors and textures.
- How long do these treats stay fresh?
- If stored in an airtight container, Rice Krispie Treat Pumpkins can stay fresh for up to a week.
- Can I use food coloring gel instead of liquid food coloring?
- Yes, food coloring gel works well and provides a more vibrant color.
- Are there any alternatives to pretzel sticks for the pumpkin stems?
- You can use green licorice or even a small piece of green gumdrop for the stems.
- Can I make these in advance for a Halloween party?
- Absolutely! You can make them a day or two in advance and store them in an airtight container until the party.
Remember to have fun while making these Rice Krispie Treat Pumpkins and let your creativity run wild.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 bag large marshmallows APPROXIMATELY 40 MARSHMALLOWS
- 6 cups Rice Krispies
- Red & Yellow Liquid Food Coloring
- Mini Rolos
- Green M&M's
- 1/4 cup cooking oil or melted butter in a small bowl TO KEEP IT FROM STICKING TO YOUR HANDS
In a large pot, melt the butter over low heat.
Add the marshmallows and stir until completely melted and combined with the butter.
Remove from the heat. Add several drops of yellow food colouring, mix it together, then add red food colouring one drop at a time, mixing as you go. Add red/yellow drops until you reach your desired colour. (I used about 4 drops red and 12 drops yellow). Mix well.
Add the Rice Krispies and stir to combine.
Coat both sides of your hands with a generous amount of cooking oil or butter, and roll the Rice Krispie mixture into small balls. Set on parchment paper. Add oil/butter to your hands after each ball.
While the balls are still warm, gently press a Mini Rolo into the top of each pumpkin for the stem and add a green M&M beside it as the leaf. (Tip: If the pumpkins cool before you're finished, use the end of a thick marker or apple corer to make a small indent in the top for the chocolate to sit in.)
Allow to cool until firm.
Nutrition InformationYield 1 Serving Size 12
Amount Per ServingCalories 3011Total Fat 136gSaturated Fat 53gTrans Fat 3gUnsaturated Fat 73gCholesterol 164mgSodium 1677mgCarbohydrates 444gFiber 3gSugar 244gProtein 21g
The information contained herein is subject to change.