Chicken Scampi Recipe: A Taste of Mediterranean Elegance
If you’re searching for a dish that encapsulates the flavors of the Mediterranean with a touch of sophistication, look no further than this Chicken Scampi recipe. With its combination of succulent chicken, garlic-infused butter, white wine, and a burst of fresh herbs, this dish is a culinary masterpiece that’s surprisingly easy to prepare. In this article, we’ll guide you through the steps of creating this exquisite Chicken Scampi that’s sure to impress your family and guests.
Table of Contents
- Discovering Chicken Scampi
- Ingredients You’ll Need
- Preparing the Chicken
- Sautéing the Aromatics
- Deglazing with White Wine
- Infusing the Garlic Butter Sauce
- Cooking the Chicken to Perfection
- Incorporating Fresh Herbs
- Serving and Presentation
- Pro Tips for Success
- Variations to Explore
- Why Chicken Scampi Is a Must-Try
- Frequently Asked Questions
1. Discovering Chicken Scampi
Chicken Scampi is a delightful dish that hails from Italian-American cuisine, known for its simplicity and bold flavors. The combination of tender chicken, fragrant garlic, and a light buttery sauce creates a harmony of tastes that’s truly irresistible.
2. Ingredients You’ll Need
Gather these essential ingredients to embark on your culinary journey:
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- Linguine or spaghetti
- White wine
- Chicken broth
- Lemon juice
- Red pepper flakes
- Fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper
3. Preparing the Chicken
Begin by slicing the boneless, skinless chicken breasts into thin strips. This ensures that the chicken cooks quickly and absorbs the flavors of the garlic butter sauce.
4. Sautéing the Aromatics
In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat and sauté minced garlic until it’s fragrant and golden. This step infuses the butter with the rich aroma of garlic, setting the foundation for the sauce.
5. Deglazing with White Wine
Deglaze the skillet by adding white wine, which not only imparts a delicate flavor but also lifts the caramelized bits from the bottom of the pan. This process adds depth to the sauce.
6. Infusing the Garlic Butter Sauce
Pour in chicken broth and lemon juice, allowing the flavors to meld. The combination of citrusy notes and savory broth creates a balanced sauce that elevates the dish.
7. Cooking the Chicken to Perfection
Add the sliced chicken to the skillet and cook until it’s no longer pink and has absorbed the flavors of the sauce. The chicken becomes tender and flavorful, a testament to the magic of simplicity.
8. Incorporating Fresh Herbs
Finish the dish by tossing in chopped fresh parsley and a pinch of red pepper flakes. These elements add a burst of color, freshness, and a subtle hint of heat.
9. Serving and Presentation
Serve the Chicken Scampi over a bed of cooked linguine or spaghetti. The pasta serves as the perfect canvas for the luscious garlic butter sauce and tender chicken.
10. Pro Tips for Success
- Use fresh garlic for the best flavor. Avoid using garlic powder as it won’t provide the same depth.
- Choose a dry white wine that you enjoy drinking, as its flavor will impact the final result.
11. Variations to Explore
While this recipe features linguine or spaghetti, you can experiment with different pasta shapes or even serve the Chicken Scampi over rice or roasted vegetables.
12. Why Chicken Scampi Is a Must-Try
Chicken Scampi offers a taste of Mediterranean elegance that’s surprisingly easy to achieve. Its simplicity, combined with the harmonious blend of flavors, makes it a dish that’s perfect for both weeknight dinners and special occasions.
13. Frequently Asked Questions
Q1: Can I use a different type of protein?
A: While this recipe highlights chicken, you can adapt it to shrimp or even a mix of seafood for a delightful seafood scampi.
Q2: Can I make this dish with a non-alcoholic alternative?
A: You can substitute chicken broth for the white wine to create a non-alcoholic version of this dish.
Q3: Can I use dried herbs instead of fresh parsley?
A: Fresh parsley offers a bright flavor, but you can use dried parsley if fresh is unavailable.
Q4: How can I make this dish less spicy?
A: Adjust the amount of red pepper flakes to your preference or omit them altogether.
Q5: What can I serve as a side dish with Chicken Scampi?
A: A simple garden salad or garlic bread make wonderful accompaniments to this flavorful dish.
In conclusion, Chicken Scampi is a culinary masterpiece that captures the essence of the Mediterranean with its delicate garlic butter sauce, tender chicken, and fresh herbs. This dish brings a touch of elegance to your table while maintaining the comfort of home-cooked goodness. Whether you’re looking to impress guests or simply treat yourself to a delightful meal, Chicken Scampi is a must-try recipe that’s sure to become a favorite in your kitchen.
For the Chicken
- 1 lb. Chicken breast, diced
- Salt/Pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons salted butter
Pasta & Sauce
- 8 oz. angel hair pasta
- 6 Tablespoons salted butter, separated
- 5 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- ½ cup dry white wine, see notes
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ cup freshly diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup roughly chopped parsley
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- ½ cup pasta water
- ½ cup Parmesan Cheese, shredded from a block
- ½ cup Asiago Cheese, shredded from a block
Before you begin: Measure out all ingredients so that they’re ready to go before you start, as this recipe goes quick! Time the boiling water so that it’s ready for the pasta at the end. It will only take about 4 minutes to cook the angel hair. Remember to reserve ½ cup of the pasta water.
Pat the chicken completely dry. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Add 1 tsp Italian seasoning and ½ tsp lemon pepper seasoning. Sprinkle with flour and toss to coat.
Heat 2 Tbsp. olive oil and 2 Tbsp. butter over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and sear for 3-4 minutes per side, until golden and cooked through. Remove and set aside, tent with foil to keep warm.
Decrease heat to medium and melt 1 Tbsp. butter in the same pan. Add the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes.
Carefully add the white wine and cook for 3 minutes or so, until reduced by half and no longer smells of alcohol. While it simmers, use a silicone spatula to clean the chicken remnants from the pot. This is called "fond" and will give the sauce more flavor.
Melt 4 Tbsp. butter in the pot. Add the cooked chicken, red pepper flakes, and chopped parsley. Toss to coat. Reduce heat to low. Swirl in 1 Tbsp. cold butter.
Boil the pasta and reserve 1/2 cup water.
Take a covered jar or Tupperware container and add ½ cup pasta water, lemon juice, Parmesan, and Asiago cheese. Cover and shake to combine.
Add the drained pasta to the skillet with the chicken and pour the pasta water mixture on top. Use kitchen tongs and toss to coat. Season with additional salt/pepper if desired and garnish with diced tomatoes.
- Shred the cheese from a block for superior flavor. Packaged cheese doesn't taste as good or melt as well.
- Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio are great dry wines to use for cooking. It doesn’t have to be super expensive but should be something you would want to drink.• If possible, use high-quality butter (not generic or a store brand) for this recipe such as Cabot or Land O’ Lakes• Use freshly minced garlic, the fresher the better. Garlic that isn’t fresh can turn blue when combined with acidic ingredients like white wine and lemon juice.• Fresh lemon juice is much more flavorful and ideal for this recipe (vs. bottled).
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per ServingCalories 483Total Fat 28gSaturated Fat 14gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 119mgSodium 656mgCarbohydrates 22gFiber 2gSugar 1gProtein 32g
The information contained herein is subject to change.