Creamy Bean Soup with Sausage Recipe
There’s nothing quite as comforting as a warm and hearty bowl of soup, and this Creamy Bean Soup with Sausage is no exception. This recipe combines the earthy richness of beans with the savory goodness of sausage to create a flavorful and satisfying meal. Whether you’re looking for a quick weeknight dinner or a dish to warm you up on a chilly day, this recipe has you covered.
Ingredients for Creamy Bean Soup with Sausage
For this delectable soup, you will need the following ingredients:
For the Soup:
- 1 pound Italian sausage, mild or spicy, based on your preference
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Grated Parmesan cheese (for garnish)
- Fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish)
Cooking the Sausage
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, cook the Italian sausage over medium-high heat, breaking it into crumbles with a spoon as it browns.
- Once the sausage is browned and cooked through, remove it from the pot and set it aside. Leave some of the sausage drippings in the pot for added flavor.
Sauteing the Vegetables
- In the same pot, add the chopped onion, minced garlic, diced carrots, and diced celery. Cook them over medium heat until the vegetables soften and the onion becomes translucent.
Adding the Beans and Broth
- Return the cooked sausage to the pot.
- Add the cannellini beans, chicken broth, dried thyme, dried rosemary, salt, and pepper. Stir well to combine all the ingredients.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover and let it cook for about 15-20 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
Adding the Spinach and Cream
- Stir in the fresh spinach leaves and let them wilt in the soup.
- Pour in the heavy cream and stir until the soup is creamy and well blended.
- Ladle the Creamy Bean Soup with Sausage into bowls and garnish with grated Parmesan cheese and chopped fresh parsley.
Enjoy your homemade Creamy Bean Soup with Sausage!
Tips for a Perfect Soup
- You can use either mild or spicy Italian sausage, depending on your spice preference.
- If you prefer a thicker soup, you can use an immersion blender to partially blend the soup until you reach your desired consistency.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for a few days. Reheat on the stovetop over low heat, adding more broth or cream as needed.
Creamy Bean Soup with Sausage is a delightful and comforting dish that combines the heartiness of beans, the richness of sausage, and the creaminess of heavy cream. Whether you’re serving it as a main course or a side, this soup is sure to warm your soul and satisfy your taste buds. Give it a try and savor the delicious flavors of this comforting recipe.
- 450 g/1 lb mild Italian sausage, no casings
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 small onion
- 700 ml/3 cups chicken broth
- 120 ml/½ cup puréed tomatoes
- 80 g/3 oz tomato paste
- 3 cans (360 g/13 oz) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- ¾ cup/200 ml heavy cream
- 40 g/1.5 oz grated Parmesan
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 8 tbsp red pesto, for serving
- 1 tsp each: salt, black pepper, dried thyme, dried oregano
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- ½ crushed red pepper flakes, more for serving
- Get all the prep done before you start cooking: mince the garlic and finely chop the onion. Remove the casings from your sausage. Drain and rinse the beans.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium high. Add sausage, break up the meat into small pieces with a wooden spoon, and cook until browned and no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and onion, cook until fragrant, for 3 minutes. Stir in spices, and cook for 1 minute more.
- Pour in broth, add puréed tomatoes and tomato paste. Bring to a boil, then add cannellini beans. Stir, lower the heat, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring every now and then.
- When ready, pour in cream and stir to combine. Turn off the heat and stir in Parmesan. Finish off with some extra black pepper and parsley. Adjust salt to taste.
- Serve with crusty bread. Dollop each bowl with red pesto and some red pepper flakes. Enjoy!
Nutrition InformationYield 1 Serving Size 5
Amount Per ServingCalories 4093Total Fat 289gSaturated Fat 113gTrans Fat 3gUnsaturated Fat 180gCholesterol 538mgSodium 12727mgCarbohydrates 240gFiber 42gSugar 102gProtein 164g
The information contained herein is subject to change.