Creamy Potato Soup with Italian Sausage Recipe
If you’re craving a hearty and comforting soup that’s packed with flavor, look no further than this Creamy Potato Soup with Italian Sausage. This recipe combines the creamy goodness of potatoes with the savory kick of Italian sausage for a delightful meal that will warm your soul. Let’s get started!
- 1 pound Italian sausage (mild or spicy, depending on your preference)
- 4 cups russet potatoes, peeled and diced into small cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Start by cooking the Italian sausage. In a large soup pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Remove the sausage from its casing and crumble it into the pot. Cook the sausage, breaking it up with a spoon, until it’s browned and cooked through. This should take about 5-7 minutes. Once done, remove the sausage from the pot and set it aside.
- In the same pot, add the butter and chopped onion. Cook the onion over medium heat until it becomes translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add the minced garlic and continue to cook for another minute, being careful not to let it brown.
- Add the diced potatoes to the pot, along with the dried thyme, salt, and pepper. Stir everything together and cook for about 5 minutes, allowing the potatoes to slightly brown and absorb the flavors.
- Pour in the chicken broth, and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Using an immersion blender or a regular blender (in batches), carefully puree the soup until it’s smooth and creamy.
- Return the soup to the pot and stir in the cooked Italian sausage.
- Pour in the heavy cream and milk, stirring continuously to combine. Allow the soup to simmer for an additional 5-10 minutes, letting the flavors meld together. Taste and adjust the seasoning with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Once the soup is heated through, it’s ready to serve. Ladle it into bowls and garnish with fresh parsley if desired.
- Enjoy your Creamy Potato Soup with Italian Sausage piping hot, perhaps with a slice of crusty bread for a complete meal!
This recipe serves approximately 6 people and is perfect for a cozy dinner or a comforting lunch. The combination of creamy potatoes and flavorful Italian sausage is sure to please your taste buds. Bon appétit!
- 1 pound Italian sausage, loose or casings removed
- 1 1/2 pounds Yukon gold, Russet or Red potatoes cut into a 1″ dice, skins on or off
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (If needed)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups beef broth
- 10 ounces frozen spinach, defrosted and squeezed dry
- 15 ounce can diced tomatoes with juice
- 4–5 fresh thyme sprigs
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Spray a large dutch oven or soup pot with non-stick cooking spray over medium heat. Add the sausage, breaking up with a spoon or spatula until almost cooked through.
- Add the onions and garlic to the pot with the sausage and the drippings, stirring and cooking until softened about 3-4 minutes. Add the diced potatoes and cook another 3-4 minutes, then season with salt and pepper. If your sausage didn’t produce enough drippings you can add an additional tablespoon of olive oil to the pot.
- Add the flour, stir to combine and then pour in the wine, stirring to scrape up the bottom of the pot as the wine reduces. Let the wine reduce for 2 minutes and then add the chicken and beef broths, spinach, diced tomatoes and thyme sprigs. Bring to a simmer and cook, partially covered for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally so the potatoes don’t stick to the bottom of the pot as they cook.
- Check to see if the potatoes are tender, then remove about 1 cup of the potatoes to a bowl and mash with a fork or a potato masher. Return the mashed potatoes to the soup and stir to combine. Stir in the heavy cream and parmesan cheese and then taste the soup for seasonings.
- Cook the soup for another 10 minutes, uncovered on low heat so that the flavors can combine. Remove the thyme sprigs and serve.
We like serving this soup with fresh cracked black pepper and parmesan cheese for garnish. Don’t forget a loaf of crusty bread for dipping!
Nutrition InformationYield 1 Serving Size 6
Amount Per ServingCalories 3986Total Fat 217gSaturated Fat 95gTrans Fat 2gUnsaturated Fat 129gCholesterol 492mgSodium 10352mgCarbohydrates 351gFiber 49gSugar 84gProtein 154g
The information contained herein is subject to change.