Sausage Breakfast Pizza Recipe
Picture this: a mouthwatering combination of savory sausage, gooey cheese, and perfectly cooked eggs, all on a crispy, golden crust. Breakfast pizzas are gaining popularity for a reason – they offer a delightful twist to the typical morning routine. Today, we’re diving into the delicious world of Sausage Breakfast Pizza, a recipe that will elevate your breakfast game to a whole new level.
Why Sausage Breakfast Pizza?
Sausage adds a burst of flavor that transforms a simple breakfast pizza into a culinary delight. Its savory and hearty nature pairs exceptionally well with the other breakfast elements, making each bite a satisfying experience. Breakfast pizzas, in general, are a departure from mundane morning meals, offering a delightful fusion of breakfast favorites in a single slice.
To embark on this culinary adventure, gather the following ingredients:
- Pizza dough (store-bought or homemade)
- Sausage links or crumbles
- Cheese (mozzarella or cheddar work well)
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Optional toppings: bell peppers, onions, tomatoes, etc.
Ensure your ingredients are fresh and of high quality for the best results.
Step-by-Step Cooking Instructions
- Preheat your oven according to the pizza dough instructions.
- Roll out the pizza dough on a floured surface to your desired thickness.
- In a skillet, cook the sausage until browned and cooked through.
- Spread a thin layer of olive oil on the pizza dough.
- Add a generous layer of shredded cheese, followed by the cooked sausage.
- Create wells in the cheese and sausage mixture for cracking eggs.
- Carefully crack eggs into the wells.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake until the crust is golden, the cheese is bubbly, and the eggs are cooked to your liking.
- Remove from the oven, slice, and savor the deliciousness.
Choosing the Right Sausage
When selecting sausage for your breakfast pizza, consider the variety available. From mild to spicy, smoked to fresh, each type brings a unique flavor profile to the dish. Experiment with different sausages to find the one that suits your taste buds best.
Customizing Your Pizza
The beauty of Sausage Breakfast Pizza lies in its versatility. Don’t be afraid to get creative with toppings. Whether it’s adding veggies for a freshness kick or experimenting with different cheeses, customization is the key to making this recipe your own.
For those aiming for a healthier option, opt for leaner sausages, whole-grain crusts, and a mix of colorful vegetables. This way, you can indulge in the deliciousness without compromising on nutritional value.
Tips for a Perfect Crust
Achieving the perfect crust requires attention to detail. Ensure your oven is adequately preheated, and don’t be shy with the olive oil. If short on time, consider using pre-made crusts for a quick and convenient alternative.
Pair your Sausage Breakfast Pizza with a side of fresh fruit or a simple green salad for a balanced meal. For beverages, a cup of hot coffee, freshly squeezed orange juice, or even a mimosa can complement the flavors wonderfully.
Involve your family in the pizza-making process. It’s a fun and interactive way to bond while creating a delicious meal together. Let the kids choose their favorite toppings and watch their excitement as the pizza bakes.
This Sausage Breakfast Pizza offers a well-balanced nutritional profile, providing a mix of proteins from the sausage and eggs, carbohydrates from the crust, and fats from the cheese. It’s a satisfying breakfast that will keep you energized throughout the day.
Sausage Breakfast Pizza for Special Occasions
Elevate this recipe for special occasions by considering unique toppings like truffle oil, smoked salmon, or fresh herbs. Present it as a brunch centerpiece, and watch your guests be impressed by the gourmet twist on a breakfast classic.
Cooking Tips and Tricks
For a crispier crust, bake the pizza on a preheated pizza stone or a hot baking sheet. Experiment with different cheeses to discover your favorite combination. If using vegetables, sauté them briefly before adding to ensure they release excess moisture during baking.
Reheating and Storage
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. To reheat, use an oven or toaster oven to maintain the crust’s crispiness. Avoid microwaving to prevent the eggs from becoming rubbery.
In conclusion, the Sausage Breakfast Pizza is a delightful fusion of flavors that will make your mornings more exciting. Whether you’re looking for a quick family breakfast or an impressive dish for special occasions, this recipe has you covered. Get ready to savor the perfect harmony of sausage, cheese, and eggs on a golden, crispy crust.
FAQs About Sausage Breakfast Pizza
- Can I use pre-made pizza dough for this recipe?
- Absolutely! Pre-made pizza dough is a convenient option and works well for this recipe.
- What other toppings can I add to customize my breakfast pizza?
- Get creative! Consider adding bell peppers, onions, tomatoes, or even a drizzle of hot sauce for an extra kick.
- Can I make this pizza ahead of time for brunch events?
- Yes, you can prepare the components ahead of time and assemble just before baking for a fresh, hot pizza.
- Any recommendations for a vegetarian version of this breakfast pizza?
- Substitute the sausage with plant-based alternatives and add your favorite veggies for a delicious vegetarian option.
- How do I prevent the eggs from overcooking?
- Keep an eye on the pizza towards the end of the baking time and remove it when the eggs reach your desired level of doneness.
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 oz (1 link) sweet Italian sausage
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- ½ onion, finely diced
- ⅓ cup pizza sauce
- 3 oz shredded fontina
- 2 oz shredded pecorino romano
- 3 eggs
- ½ recipe artisan pizza dough (one 15 oz dough ball)
- Place pizza steel or stone, if using, in the oven and preheat to 500°F. Let stone heat up for a full 45 minutes. Generously flour a pizza peel and set aside.
- Meanwhile, make toppings. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook, breaking up, until cooked through and crispy, 10- 12 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel lined plate to drain.
- Reduce heat to medium and melt butter in same pan. Add onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook until softened, about 10 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and very soft, about 10 more minutes. Transfer to a bowl to cool.
- When ready to make pizza, prep the eggs. Crack each egg into a small bowl and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Flour a work surface. Flatten the middle of a dough ball into a large disk, leaving a thick 1-inch lip. Pick up the disk, and holding the thick edge, use gravity to shape the dough into a 12-inch circle. Lay on prepared pizza peel and adjust shape into a circle. Jiggle the peel to make sure the dough isn’t sticking (add more flour if it is).
- Spread dough with tomato sauce, leaving ½-inch border. Top with fontina and pecorino cheese. Sprinkle with the cooked sausage and caramelized onions. Jiggle the pizza to make sure it isn’t sticking.
- Carefully slide pizza onto steel and, very carefully, use a large spoon to make three small wells in the toppings. Pour an egg into each well and close the oven. Bake for 8- 10 minutes, until cheese is melted and egg whites are cooked. Let pizza cool slightly, then cut and enjoy.
Nutrition InformationYield 1 Serving Size 12
Amount Per ServingCalories 2119Total Fat 165gSaturated Fat 71gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 100gCholesterol 917mgSodium 4278mgCarbohydrates 36gFiber 3gSugar 14gProtein 119g
The information contained herein is subject to change.