Chocolate Turtle Apple Slices Recipe: A Delectable Delight
In the world of desserts, there’s nothing quite like the combination of chocolate, caramel, and apples to satisfy your sweet cravings. Chocolate Turtle Apple Slices are a delightful treat that perfectly blends the crisp freshness of apples with the rich indulgence of chocolate and caramel. This recipe not only tantalizes your taste buds but also adds a touch of elegance to any occasion. Whether you’re hosting a party, enjoying a cozy evening in, or just craving something sweet, these apple slices are sure to impress. So, let’s dive into this scrumptious creation step by step.
Table of Contents
- 3.1 Preparing the Apples
- 3.2 Melting the Chocolate
- 3.3 Dipping the Apple Slices
- 3.4 Adding Caramel and Pecans
- 3.5 Allowing to Set
- Serving Suggestions
- Storage Tips
- Health Benefits
Chocolate Turtle Apple Slices are a delightful twist on the classic caramel apple. They combine the natural sweetness of apples with the richness of chocolate and the crunch of pecans. Whether you’re making them for a special occasion or just as a sweet indulgence, this recipe is sure to become a favorite.
Before you begin, gather the following ingredients:
- 4 large apples (Granny Smith or Honeycrisp work well)
- 8 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup of caramel candies
- 1/2 cup of chopped pecans
- Wooden sticks for skewering
- Wax paper
3.1 Preparing the Apples
- Wash and thoroughly dry the apples.
- Remove the stems and insert wooden sticks into the top of each apple.
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper.
3.2 Melting the Chocolate
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips in 30-second intervals, stirring each time until smooth.
3.3 Dipping the Apple Slices
- Dip each apple into the melted chocolate, ensuring even coverage.
- Allow excess chocolate to drip off, then place the dipped apple on the wax paper-lined baking sheet.
3.4 Adding Caramel and Pecans
- While the chocolate is still soft, drizzle caramel over each apple slice.
- Sprinkle chopped pecans over the caramel.
- Allow the caramel and chocolate to set for about 30 minutes.
3.5 Allowing to Set
- Once the chocolate, caramel, and pecans have set, your Chocolate Turtle Apple Slices are ready to enjoy.
Feel free to get creative with your Chocolate Turtle Apple Slices by adding different toppings such as crushed cookies, mini marshmallows, or even a sprinkle of sea salt for a sweet and salty contrast.
These apple slices make for a fantastic party treat. Serve them on a decorative platter for an eye-catching dessert that will disappear quickly.
Store any leftover apple slices in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They are best enjoyed within a day or two to maintain their freshness.
While these apple slices are undoubtedly a treat, they do offer some nutritional benefits. Apples are rich in fiber and antioxidants, and when enjoyed in moderation, they can be part of a balanced diet.
Chocolate Turtle Apple Slices are a delightful fusion of flavors and textures that will leave your taste buds dancing with joy. Whether you’re sharing them with friends and family or savoring them all by yourself, this recipe is a winner. Try it out and experience the magic of this sweet indulgence.
- Can I use milk chocolate instead of semi-sweet for this recipe?
- Yes, you can use milk chocolate if you prefer a sweeter flavor.
- How do I prevent the caramel from becoming too hard?
- Ensure that the caramel candies are of good quality and not overcooked during the melting process. Stirring occasionally can also help.
- Are there any alternative fruits I can use for this recipe?
- While apples work best due to their firm texture, you can experiment with pears or strawberries.
- Can I make these apple slices in advance for a party?
- Yes, you can prepare them a few hours in advance and store them in the refrigerator until your guests arrive.
- Can I freeze Chocolate Turtle Apple Slices?
- It’s not recommended as freezing may alter the texture of the apples and toppings.
Now that you have the recipe and all the details, it’s time to embark on your culinary adventure and create these delightful Chocolate Turtle Apple Slices. Enjoy every bite of this heavenly treat!
- 2 very large Fuji apples
- 3 ½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips I used Nestle
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil I used refined coconut oil so it doesn't taste like coconut.
- 1 cup caramels, melted I used Kraft caramels
- ½ cup Chopped pecans
Slice apples into ½" pieces. (It's really important to have a good quality chef's knife. I love Wusthof.) With a knife make a little slit in the bottom of each apple slice to make it easier to insert a popsicle stick. Insert a popsicle stick into each piece of apple. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, melt chocolate chips in the microwave on high for about 2 minutes (in 30 second intervals, don't overheat because the chocolate will burn).* Stir in coconut oil until smooth. (If the apples are extra juicy, pat down with a paper towel before dipping.) Dip apple slices in chocolate and place on parchment lined cookie sheet. (I used a 13"x18" half sheet pan.)
Place caramels in microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 30-60 seconds.* (Note: Microwave power varies.) Do NOT overheat. I recommend heating at 20 second intervals. For best results, use package instructions for heating the caramels. Stir until smooth. Drizzle melted caramel over chocolate and sprinkle with nuts.
Refrigerate for about 1 hour. Serve and enjoy immediately. Apples are best the first day. Store in refrigerator.
*For best results, follow the chocolate chip package instructions for melting chocolate and same for caramel. Follow the caramel package instructions for melting caramels.
Nutrition InformationYield 1 Serving Size 12
Amount Per ServingCalories 5138Total Fat 293gSaturated Fat 162gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 116gCholesterol 17mgSodium 895mgCarbohydrates 696gFiber 60gSugar 576gProtein 45g
The information contained herein is subject to change.