Roasted Garlic Cheddar Cauliflower Soup Recipe
Warm, creamy, and with a hint of roasted garlic goodness, this Roasted Garlic Cheddar Cauliflower Soup is the ultimate comfort food for chilly days. It’s a flavorful and satisfying soup that combines the richness of cheddar cheese with the earthy notes of cauliflower, making it the perfect dish to savor. Let’s get started on creating this delicious soup.
For the Roasted Garlic Cheddar Cauliflower Soup:
- 1 head of cauliflower, chopped into florets
- 1 whole garlic bulb
- Olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups milk (whole or 2% for creaminess)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
For Garnish (optional):
- Additional shredded cheddar cheese
- Fresh chives or green onions, chopped
- Crispy bacon bits
1. Roast the Garlic:
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Cut the top off the garlic bulb to expose the cloves.
- Drizzle with olive oil, wrap it in foil, and roast for about 30 minutes or until the cloves are soft and golden. Allow it to cool, then squeeze the roasted garlic cloves out of the bulb.
2. Roast the Cauliflower:
- On a baking sheet, toss the cauliflower florets with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Roast in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until they’re tender and have a golden color. Remove from the oven and set aside.
3. Start the Soup:
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion and sauté until it’s translucent and fragrant.
4. Add the Roasted Garlic:
- Stir in the roasted garlic from step 1. This will infuse the soup with a rich, roasted garlic flavor.
5. Blend the Mixture:
- Add the roasted cauliflower florets to the pot and stir to combine.
- Pour in the chicken or vegetable broth and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Let it simmer for about 10-15 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
6. Blend the Soup:
- Using an immersion blender or a regular blender (in batches), blend the mixture until smooth and creamy.
7. Add the Cheese:
- Return the blended mixture to the pot and stir in the milk and shredded cheddar cheese.
- Continue to cook over low heat, stirring, until the cheese is fully melted and the soup is heated through.
8. Season and Serve:
- Taste the soup and adjust the seasoning with salt and black pepper, as needed.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with additional shredded cheddar cheese, chopped chives or green onions, and crispy bacon bits, if desired.
Enjoy your Roasted Garlic Cheddar Cauliflower Soup!
This soup is the epitome of comfort and flavor, perfect for a cozy meal on a cold day. The roasted garlic adds a depth of richness, and the cheddar cheese brings a delightful creaminess to every spoonful. Whether you enjoy it as a starter or a main course, this Roasted Garlic Cheddar Cauliflower Soup is sure to warm both your heart and your taste buds.
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into florets (about 4-5 cups cauliflower florets)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- 1 head garlic
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or sub chicken broth if not vegetarian)
- ½ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 heaping cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Sliced green onion & extra cheddar on top
- Croutons or toasted sourdough bread/bread of choice for dipping/serving
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Cook the veggies: Add cauliflower florets to the pan, drizzle with 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper; toss to combine. For the garlic: peel and discard the outer papery layers of the whole garlic head. Leave the skins intact of the individual cloves. Using a sharp knife, cut ¼ inch off from the top of the cloves so that the individual cloves of garlic are exposed. Place garlic in a medium piece of foil and drizzle the top of the garlic with olive oil then loosely wrap in the foil and place on the pan with the cauliflower. Roast cauliflower and garlic for 30-35 minutes, flipping halfway through, until cauliflower is nice and golden and caramelized.
Cook the onion: While the cauliflower is cooking, add 1 tablespoon olive oil to a pot and place over medium heat. Once oil is hot, add in diced onion and saute for 5-8 minutes until onion is translucent.
Blend the soup: In a large blender add the onion, roasted cauliflower, roasted garlic, broth, salt and pepper. Blend until smooth, about 1 minute, then add back to the pot and place over medium heat. Tip for the garlic: allow it to cool enough to touch then simply squeeze out the roasted garlic from the skin.
Finish it off: Bring soup to a light simmer, then stir in the cheddar cheese. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, taste and adjust seasonings as necessary. Garnish with green onion and extra grated sharp cheddar cheese. Serve with crusty toasted sourdough or your favorite bread of choice. Serves 4.
If you want a creamier soup, feel free to sub 1 cup milk for 1 cup broth. Alternatively, if you want a bit of a richer soup, feel free to add ½ cup half and half or heavy cream in place of ½ cup of the broth.
If you prefer a thicker soup, start with 3 cups of broth.
See the full post for tips, tricks and ways to customize this soup!
Nutrition InformationYield 1 Serving Size 4
Amount Per ServingCalories 2077Total Fat 136gSaturated Fat 57gTrans Fat 3gUnsaturated Fat 65gCholesterol 254mgSodium 6524mgCarbohydrates 131gFiber 26gSugar 33gProtein 94g
The information contained herein is subject to change.